Floyd & Son's guide to the practical steps surrounding the death of a loved one.

Professional and experienced funeral directors, such as Floyd & Son, are there to help you every step of the way. You can lean on their experience, which can be a real help at a time when you may not feel up to dealing with all the practical tasks.

Registering the death

Registering the death

Deaths must be registered at the local council’s registry office. The address should be on the envelope you are given with the Death Certificate. If not, your Funeral Director can tell you where to go. Generally, the next of kin should register the death, but if you don’t feel up to it, Floyd & Son can let you know who else can do it and in what circumstances.

What you need for the registrar

  • The medical certificate of the cause of death.
  • The deceased’s medical card, if available, or their NHS number.
  • Any forms given to you if the death has been referred to the Coroner.

What you’ll have to tell the registrar

  • The date and place of death.
  • The deceased’s last usual address.
  • The deceased’s names, including a woman’s maiden name and date and place of birth – it might be easier to take their birth certificate.
  • Was the deceased receiving a state pension or any benefits?
  • The date of birth of their surviving partner, if they were married.

What the registrar will give you

A Certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as the “Green Form”), unless the Coroner has given you an Order for Burial or a Certificate for Cremation. The Funeral Director must have these forms for the arrangements to proceed.

A Certificate of Registration of Death for Social Security purposes.

You can also purchase one or more certified copies of an Entry Certificate. You’ll need these for pension claims, insurance policies and other financial matters.

Registering the death

Find out if the deceased made a Will and consult the solicitors who hold it. The Will may have a note of the deceased’s funeral wishes and preferences. The Solicitor can tell you who the Executors are – the people named as legally entitled to deal with the deceased’s Estate.

Don’t rush into decisions about property or money. All of this can wait until after the funeral or when you have a clearer mind. The Solicitor can advise on tax issues and the law of probate.

People to inform

Various people will need to know about the death, including:

  • The family doctor, if the deceased died in hospital.
  • The local Inland Revenue office.
  • The local Social Security office (to cancel any allowances or benefits).
  • The deceased’s employer.
  • Utility providers such as gas, electricity, TV packages and mobile phones.

Thinking through the person’s life will help you remember others who will want to know and perhaps attend the funeral – maybe their trade union, a club they were a member of, people who shared hobbies or a charity they supported.

Floyd & Son team
Floyd & Son flower arrangement

Things that may need to be returned​

You may need to return things such as order books or Giro cheques to the DSS. Keep a note of any pension or order book numbers before you send them back.

You must return the deceased’s passport, driving licence, car registration document and National Insurance papers to the relevant offices.

All of this takes time, but it doesn’t need to be done straight away. Get a solicitor or a family member to help.

If you need financial assistance there is a freephone Social Security line to use. To find out if you qualify for help, call 0800 666 555.

We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Feel free to contact us at any time and our staff will be only too pleased to assist you in any way they can.

Floyd & Son established in 1966.
Private chapels, all denominations.

Head Office / Hainault Branch

Aaron House, 8 Hainault Business Park, Forest Road, Hainault, Essex IG6 3JP
Telephone 020 8500 7475

Director: D A Floyd, Registered office: Aaron House, 8 Hainault, Business Park,
Forest Road, Hainault, Essex IG6 3LP, Company number 07620815